Human emotions are responsible for many bodily functions. Leaving no exception, emotions have a direct impact on our diet. Joy, despair, anger, worry, fear, anxiety etc all these emotions control your eating habits. When you are happier, you tend to eat more and when you are more unhappy, you feel like eating junk food.
However, the pattern of emotional eating varies from person to person. Some people overeat under the sway of emotions, this situation is called emotional binge-eating.
Reasons behind emotional overeating:
Most people do emotional binge eating when they are feeling negative emotions. When people are sad or anxious their body releases a hormone called cortisol also known as the stress hormone. When the brain gets to know that you are worried, it encourages you to eat your favorite food to overcome this situation.
Most people like to eat high fat or high sugar food, which is not considered good for the body. This can make you vulnerable to many diseases including obesity. Under emotional eating, people usually end up eating junk food.
Also read: Different Foods contain Different Antioxidants; Know their Sources and Benefits
Tips to keep emotional eating at bay:
- Whatever you are feeling, try not to run away from it and acknowledge the feeling. Identify the emotion that is bothering you and admit that you are not happy and try to find the solution.
- In hard times meditation acts as a great tool to cope with. This will reduce your anxiety and anxiety and you will think twice before eating junk food.
- Most people lock themselves in a room when they feel negative. Due to this, they are not able to come close to the positive energy. Try to spend time in nature when you are depressed. This will pump up your mood and you will feel lighter.
- Uptick the amount of protein and fiber in the food and drink. Fiber keeps the stomach full for a long time. This will prevent you from wanting to eat junk food.
- Exercise is good for our physical health as well as mental health. Yoga, running, jogging, light exercise can also improve your mood.
- In anger, worry or sadness, do your favourite activities instead of constantly eating. Talk to the people close to you and share your feelings with them.
- Even after following all these tips, if you are not getting rid of emotional binge eating, then you must consult a doctor.
Also read: Not Just A Delicacy: Know Why You Must Have ‘Gajar Ka Halwa’ During Winter? Know Health Benefits